Hollister Hill Farm Bed & Breakfast has been designated as a Green Hotel. It is an integral part of Hollister Hill Farm, which is a 205 acre diversified hillside farm located in Marshfield, VT. We believe that everything living and growing on our farm is part of a complete circle. We maintain our land with organic methods and strive to produce a happy, healthy environment for people and animals.
- We organically/naturally produce the majority of the meat, eggs, vegetables, fruits and dairy products that we serve our guests since we first opened our B&B in 1999.
- We educate people about small farm care of animals and land.
- We heat our house with wood harvested right here at our farm.
- We buy locally.
- We talk to our guests about seeking out and supporting their local farmers.
- We compost and recycle.
- We will encourage our guests to separate their trash into recyclables, bottle deposits and food waste to either be composted or fed to our animals.
- We discourage the use of bottled water at our B&B and offer our delicious, cold, deep well water right from our faucets.
- We buy recycled products whenever possible.
- We conserve energy wherever possible.
- We use environmentally safe cleaning products.
- In September 2013 we had two 6KWT tracker solar panels installed. On sunny days we have the capability of producing 12 KWT of electricity which goes back into the grid and replaces the commercial power that we use on the farm.
- This spring/summer we plan to install a wood fired outdoor furnace which will burn cleaner and more efficiently than the internal boiler that we use now. It will not only heat the house but also heat our hot water.
- In our town we will soon have access to biodiesel and hope to be able to use it in our tractors.
And we will be ever on the lookout for ways to lessen our environmental impact on the earth.