Turn your kitchen into a cantina with this super flavorful and crispy carnitas recipe. It cooks while you go about your day. If only all life was this easy.
Ingredients for 10 to 12 servings (keeps well in fridge or freezer)
- 4 pound pork butt or shoulder
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried cumin
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 8 cloves garlic
- Juice from two limes
- Juice from two oranges or 3/4 cup quality o.j.
- 3/4 cup Coke (Mexican cane sugar Coke is best)
- Rinse pork and pat dry, place in 6-quart slow cooker
- Add salt, pepper, oregano, cumin, onion, garlic, bay leaves, lime and orange juices and Coke.
- Cover and set to cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 5-6 hours until meat easily pulls apart.
- Remove pork and pull apart with two forks. *Retain the liquid!
- Transfer the shredded pork to a foil-lined baking sheet. Pour one cup of the slow cooker liquid over the pork and broil for 5-10 minutes until the meat browns and forms crispy edges.
- Serve with hard shells or soft tortillas and your favorite taco fixings. Don’t forget the guac.