This is comfort food at its finest — richly flavorful, wonderfully tender andpleasantly filling.
Ingredients for four servings
- 8 beef short ribs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 slices Hollister Hill Farm bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 shallots, finely minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- Splash of red wine (optional)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Salt and pepper the ribs and dredge with flour.
- Cook the bacon in a large Dutch oven until crispy and the fat is rendered. Remove bacon and set aside. Drain off excess fat.
- Add the olive oil to the pan with bacon fat and raise the heat to high. Cook the ribs until brown on all sides. Remove the ribs and set aside.
- Lower heat to medium, add carrots, shallots and onion and cook for two minutes. Add the wine and scrape the sides of the pot to release all the browned bits and pieces. They are the recipe’s superpower.
- Add broth, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and lots of fresh ground pepper and bring to a boil. Add salt to taste. Add the ribs. They should be covered by the broth. Add rosemary and thyme and the cooked bacon.
- Cover with lid and transfer to the pre-heated oven. Cook until the ribs are falling off the bone — about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and rest with lid on for 20 minutes, which will give you time to prepare a bed of cheesy grits or creamy mashed potatoes to lay the ribs on. Add a green vegetable or side salad.
- Listen to your tastebuds sing.